With compassion, caring and common sense we are Malibu citizens working to empower and protect our community by providing assistance and resources to those who are homeless, and always with dignity and respect.
WHAT IS C.A.R.T. ?
COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE RESOURCE TEAM
Malibu C.A.R.T., now a 501 (c)3, was founded by long time Malibu resident and activist, Carol Moss in 2015 in response to the growing homeless epidemic and has become a community-based team of volunteers helping the homeless and those in need. CART continues honing and expanding its relationships with community activists, faith-based organizations, educational institutions, non-profits, and concerned individuals. Over the last two years, CART has continued to strengthen its relationship and collaboration with the City of Malibu and with Los Angeles County working with both entities to expand assistance to and support for those in need within our community.
Supporting the dignity of a homeless person is a very important element of the organization. Reducing the shame associated with homelessness, or the road to becoming homeless, by providing what we often take for granted – clean bodies, clean clothes, food, shelter, and eye to eye contact with a helping hand and an open heart. We come from a place of love, without judgment. CART consistently conveys the message that people do care and are there to help. CART takes care to provide assistance respectfully, in a way that allows help to be received and appreciated; it is this important humanitarian piece that CART brings to the table.
CART is continually working to forge strong partnerships within the community and with representatives of the City, County, State and Federal governments, along with aiming to improve the community response to individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
The following are some examples of CART activities:
- Homeless Connect Days: Collaborating with Supervisor Sheila Kuehl’s office CART has hosted immensely successful Connect Days that bring together various city and county agencies to help establish homeless individuals and families with the basics needed to identify the and their needs. Such agencies include the DMV, Venice Family Clinic, Homeless Court, Social Security, The People Concern and even Veterinary services etc. To date, several hundred individuals have benefited from these days.
- Mobil Eye Clinics: Partnering with UCLA to provide eye clinics. At these clinics, clients eyes’ are examined, their needs/eye-glass prescriptions determined and their glasses provided.
- Food, Lunches, Dinners: CART supports weekly dinners and ongoing lunch programs through both donations and volunteer power.
- Winter Shelters: We work closely with local cities to provide transportation to winter shelters.
- Laundry programs
- Immediate Needs: We help provide food, clothing, toiletries, bus fare, transportation, books for courses, assistance with finding jobs, housing, medical attention, sleeping bags and much more.
- Participation in the annual Homeless Count
- Assistance for those newly housed: We help to provide the basic supplies needed when someone goes into their new home.
Regular meetings are held locally and all are welcome. To find out how you can participate and volunteer or to donate goods, services or a monetary donation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your donations. Your tax-deductible contribution can be made to Malibu C.A.R.T. in the following ways:
- Make a secure contribution online:
- Send a check: Please send a check payable to C.A.R.T. and mailed to 23708 Malibu Colony Road, Malibu, CA., 90265
- Donate via phone: (424) 781-7347
- Donate much needed supplies via Amazon.